Salvation


Salvation





I stopped pushing salvation on inner city streets after my husband’s funeral.
Maples lining the road home reminded me of the kimono, and our baby;
anniversary gifts from Tent.

Rubin changed clothes as soon as we got home from Sunday school: toreror,
mariachi, prime ballerina.  It was difficult to keep a straight face in the middle
of an argument with a little cross-dresser playing in front of you.

In the beginning of autumn, that’s when he started collecting the feathers.  My
baby, fourteen, lifeless.  He found the first one outside a mud wrestling bar and
grill.  It had the Lords Prayer written on the feather.  Soon enough, they were
coming from all around the world.  He loved his collection.  I gave each one of
those bullies a feather.  I want to forgive but…

Tent was very close to his son, closer than the rope wrapped around his neck.
The impact of losing his son was devastating.  After the funeral I couldn’t wait;
I needed to look in the mirror, put on the kimono, cover my arms with the red
yellow leaves of the sash, and hide the teeth marks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucecita Benitez - Cabalgata

Undertow Poetry Review, La Resaca First Issue