Thursday, March 15, 2012

Shading the Dark



Shading the Dark


The whirr of blood sucking bats
tempers the evening with ebony air

I’ve wondered about you across
those white stones, dressed

in black, coat and boots.  Your dark hair
stirred by a vortex of wind, your eyes piercing

my chest until I can hardly breathe.  My hands
extended to capture the chill of your pale face.

I thought the season had turned its back on me
and I could hear the gulls cry as we strolled

through red-mottled relics.  I thought you
were bigger than life, but now I realize

you were a peasant with nothing more than
good fortune, and the knowledge of mimicry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My Photo
San Juan, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico
Ortiz grew up between San Juan and Chicago, studied English literature at Inter-American University in San German, Puerto Rico, and philosophy at World University. He was an ESL teacher most of his life but also worked with the elderly blind population as a Daily Living Skills Instructor at the El Paso Lighthouse for the Blind, and the Texas Lions Camp. He studied culinary art at The Restaurant School in Philadelphia and became a chef. His work has been published in over 255 print journals, e-zines, and anthologies. Flutter Press released his debut chapbook, At the Tail End of Dusk, in October of 2009. Ronin Press released his second chapbook: topography of a desire in May of 2010. His photographs have been published or are forthcoming in: W5RAn.com, The Neglected Ratio, The Monongahela Review, and more. His poems were recently published, or are forthcoming in: The Battered Suitcase, Poor Mojo's Almanac(k), WTF PWM, The 13th Warrior Review, Dark Lady Poetry, and Writers’ Bloc.

Typying