From the Food to the Playlist





From the Food to the Playlist


I remember putting on
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out live
the day before you fell, Mom,
I indicated which songs you did
and did not like
while preparing Creole Chicken and Rice.

I don't know why I insisted you eat the beetroot.
You didn’t want to eat
beetroot and carrot cooked without seasoning
―as if with that mixture, I thought,
while I bringing the food to your mouth
and listening to The Most Beautiful Thing by Eros Ramazzotti,
I could heal you.

I wake up in the middle of the night
and head to my brother's bedroom,
turn on the light,
ask him to play Julia from the Beatles
loud enough for Mom to hear.
Without saying anything he jumps out of the sheets,
takes the guitar from the case and plays Julia.
Then he pushes it back in the case, 
and turns off the light switch.
I stay for a few minutes in the dark.
Walk down to the first floor
and microwave my Jumbalaya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucecita Benitez - Cabalgata

Undertow Poetry Review, La Resaca First Issue

Good Morning Gulliver