Thursday, January 19, 2017

I am as Lonely as Falling Drops of Rain




I am as Lonely as Falling Drops of Rain


I am the poem that began at dawn.
One day all the sand of Abyssinia
sprouted from my eyes
and all the perfume in Paris originated
from my fingers. Another day
I saw the moon rise on a river
in the Far East, saw her drown herself
completely drunk on life.
I also remember that long night
when I wept bitterly the wrath of God
in the dying eyes of a sad alpaca.
And that other day when I opened
two hundred and eighty-three doors
looking for a letter that said:
We learned to challenge darkness
with more darkness.
I am that poem that began at dawn 
but soon ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
San Juan, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico
Sergio A. Ortiz is a Puerto Rican poet and the founding editor of Undertow Tanka Review. He is a two-time Pushcart nominee, a four-time Best of the Web nominee, and 2016 Best of the Net nominee. 2nd place in the 2016 Ramón Ataz annual poetry competition, sponsored by Alaire Publishing House. He is currently working on his first full-length collection of poems, Elephant Graveyard. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sergio A. Ortiz es poeta puertorriqueño que escribe en inglés y español. Actualmente trabaja en su primera colección de poesía, Elephant Graveyard, Cementerio de Elefantes. Ha sido nominado al premio Pushcart en dos ocasiones, al Best of the Web en cuatro ocasiones, y al Best of the Net, 2016. 2do lugar Premio Ramón Ataz de Poesía, 2016. Sus poemas han aparecido, o están por aparecer, en revistas literarias como: Letralía, Chachala Review, The Accentos Review, Resonancias, por mencionar algunos.

Typying