I’ve thought about being dead,
watched my bloated self in the mirror,
waited for strangers
to take care of the funeral.
I’ve thought about dinner parties,
the theatre: things no longer
in the budget. Sex. Doctors.
I’ve thought about cohesion,
Clairol, Herbal Essence
and Eyeliner. Friends.
I’ve thought about outreach groups,
raisins, peaches, and kiwis.
Still-life paintings in my city.
I’ve thought about American Idol,
churches and meals on wheels.
and another twenty years of less,
and less, and less of a line
that does not disappear on its own.
I’ve thought about mangrove crabs
living in mud holes, pushed
back into the closet.
© Sergio A. Ortiz 2009 First Published in the summer of 2009
- ► 2017 (315)
- ► 2016 (507)
- ► 2015 (347)
- ► 2014 (389)
- ► 2013 (223)
- ► 2012 (146)
- ► 2011 (220)
- ► 2010 (489)
- ▼ 2009 (39)
- ► 2008 (34)
Poetry Journals & Published Poems
- The Citron Review
- Breadcrumb Scabs
- Salt River Review/ Volume 12, No, 3, Winter 2009
- Ganymede Poets, One Anthology
- Flor del Concreto/ So It Goes Poetry Anthology
- Rust and Moth
- The Externalist: A Journal of Perspectives
- The Stoning of Sarah
- Letralia Tierra de Letras
- children churches & daddies
- The long and detailed principal of governance
- At the Tail End of Dusk Inn
- At the Church of 80% Sincerity
- The Chilean Temple Initiative-The Silent Beauty of a Mother Bee
- Ink Sweat & Tears
- Poet's Ink Review
- The Texture of Stone
- Bread & Tablecloths
- Weathervane, Royal Doll, In Memory
- Rain Dancer, Illegal
- The Beauty of Tattoos, He and I
- Coming Together, Alessia Brio Editor
- Origami Condom
- The Battered Suitcase