A teenage love poem


A teenage love poem
To those who gave me their love in return for very little


I love you because you write poetry on the urgent edges
of your empty room. Because you've attached verbs to the pain
that invades you and even when you can't remember I’m Sergio
it's me who accompanies you through the travesty of names.
And because you say, you’re beautiful, and leave with the dawn.

I love you because you took me to the river
and the flight of birds that nest in the water. You place your hand
on my shoulder to give me the encouragement I sometimes lose.

Because you stare me down
and wink your eyes to make me follow,
you inspire,
and welcome me, sustain
me in the air when I'm flying aimlessly
or when I've lost my bearing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Undertow Poetry Review, La Resaca First Issue

Lucecita Benitez - Cabalgata