I know You by Your First Name



In my house
loneliness sits on an armchair,
stirs my bed sheets and opens the book
where my rival’s name is written.

Soledad, my enemy, wakes me
to injure like a tightrope
around my throat.

I don’t take my innocence
to that well. I’m not the one
whose dawns are clouds
and poison ivy climbing
the stairs to the bedroom.

I sit alone at the breakfast table,
alone turning off the TV to pray
and receive the devil of insomnia.

My enemy ties me up
with obstinate dialogue
morning, noon, and night.
But no one can say
I don’t put up a fight.

Beyond my skin and more,
inside of my bones, I love.
Beyond my mouth and its words,
from the knot of my tormented sex,
I know I will die from nothing
other than love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucecita Benitez - Cabalgata

Undertow Poetry Review, La Resaca First Issue